This is a sermon at City Light Church about suiting up for God.
Every branch of the military has its own fight song. Here are the first few words of each. Would you be able to guess which one belongs to which branch?
–”Anchors aweigh my boys, anchors aweigh” -> Navy
– “Over hill, over dale, we hit the dusty trail” -> Army
–”Off we go into the wild blue yonder” -> Air Force
–”From the Halls of Montezuma, to the Shores of Trioli” -> Marines
Followers of Jesus are portrayed in three ways:
-First as children in Christ’s family
-Second as members of Christ’s body
-Third as soldiers in Christ’s army
There are three dimensions to being a soldier of Jesus Christ.
1: Knowing the enemy
2: Wearing God’s armor
Wearing God’s armor comes in six steps:
– like a belt that supports the soldiers entire body
– like a breastplate that protects the vital organs
– like shoes that enable the soldier to keep going
– like a shield that deflects incoming objects
– like a helmet that covers the mind
– like a sword that is used to attack the enemy
3: NEVER stop calling on the name of the Lord
Psalms 120 says, “In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered.”
In my distress I called to the Lord,
and he answered me.